Symptom 1: Ethernet does not work and the adapter is not recognized by the computer after a Windows reboot, or the adapter is not correctly recognized as an Ethernet adapter. Instead, it is recognized as a CD ROM or storage device
In some rare conditions, the Cable Matters USB to Ethernet Adapter (Models 202013 / 202023 / 202026) may stop working properly after a system reboot on a Windows host. The adapter may appear in Windows as a CD-ROM or USB flash drive and not function as an Ethernet adapter. This issue occurs when Windows loads the Ethernet adapter before loading the Ethernet device drivers.
Typically, unplugging and plugging the adapter back in will resolve this issue, but the issue may happen again on another Windows system reboot. To prevent the issue from happening, please follow the steps below:
1. Download the RtPGtoolUI software here.
2. Connect the power cable into your computer and make sure your computer is charging.
3. Plug the USB to Ethernet Adapter into the computer. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the adapter.
4. Run RtPGtoolUI software.
5. Click the 'Dump' button to see the current setting in the firmware as shown below.
6. Make sure the Mac Address of 'Device Select' is the same as shown in 'CURRENT' (The CURRENT text box does not display the ":")
7. Check to see whether SPI_FLASH_EN is selected.
8. Unselect the 'SPI_FLASH_EN' checkbox, and then click the 'Program' button to make the change in the firmware.
9. When the 'Program' process is successfully completed, the RESULT will display 'PASS'
10. Double-check to make sure the Mac Address didn't change.
Symptom 2: The adapter is not recognized by a Windows 7 computer
The Adapter includes a built-in flash drive to store a device driver installation program for older Windows operating systems. If you followed the above steps to disable the flash drive, you may need to download device drivers manually on Windows 7 computers.
Please download the driver here and install it manually.
Article ID: 126
Last updated: 03 Aug, 2023
WIN_USB_PGTOOL_v2.0.19.zip (2.91 mb)