This article is for Cable Matters model numbers 201046 / 201055 / 201056 to solve charging related issues including a failure to charge using certain USB-C power adapters, such as the Apple 87W USB-C power adapter. These issues can be solved by performing a firmware update. Please follow the steps below to upgrade the firmware.
The upload process requires a computer with USB-C running Windows 10. If your computer does not have USB-C, you may use a USB-A to USB-C adapter such as this one:
1. Download and install the Configuration Utility.
2. With adapter and PD power unplugged, open Configuration Utility.
3. Plug in the adapter without PD power.
This will allow the adapter to run in ‘update mode’. Open device manager and you will see ‘USB Bridge’ under Other devices.
4. Load the device driver
Right click & update drivers > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer> Have Disk> Browse.
Then you will enter the path which is under the Cypress program files. For example, follow path below for Windows 10 x64 computer and select cyusb3.inf
5. Select the first option “Billboard Bridge Vendor MFG” and then click next.
6. Run the driver update.
After update the adapter is now labeled under USB Serial Bus Devices in device manager rather than under Other Devices.
7. Plug in PD power. Go back to the Comfiguration Utility,
Click the firmware update button at the top, and you will see that it now recognizes (USB BRIDGE 0 & USB BRIDGE 1)
8. Download and flash firmware using the Comfiguration Utility.
Flash USB BRIDGE (0) with CYPD3123 file. Check ‘Use bootloader to flash’.
Then flash NOTEBOOK (USB BRIDGE (1)) with CYPD2122 file.
Article ID: 103
Last updated: 09 Sep, 2019