Search: Advanced search
Please enter a keyword or ID
Cable Matters 201046 / 201055 / 201056 Firmware Update to Fix Charging Related Issues with Apple 87w USB-C Power Adapter
This article is for Cable Matters model numbers 201046 / 201055 / 201056 to solve charging related issues including a failure to charge using certain USB-C power adapters, such as the Apple 87W USB-C power adapter. These issues can be solved by performing a firmware update. Please follow the steps below to upgrade the firmware.
The upload process requires a computer with USB-C running Windows 10. If your computer does not have USB-C, you may use a USB-A to USB-C adapter such as this one:
1. Download and unzip the firmware tool.
If your browser marks the download file "dangerous" and automatically blocks it, please manually unblock it. For example, you can go to download page to select 'Keep Dangerous File' in Chrome browser.
2. Plug Cable Matters 201046 / 201055 / 201056 into your computer running Windows 10.
Wait for the adapter to be recognized by your computer. Please check that the adapter is recognized in Device Manager
3. Plug USB-C power adapter into Cable Matters 201046 / 201055 / 201056 through a USB-C cable.
4. Extract the downloaded zip file and run the firmware update tool in the folder
5. Install Microsoft Visual C++ if necessary
Use the link below to download and install the required software from Microsoft if you encounter the 'msvcr120.dll not found' error after clicking on the firmware update tool.
6. Wait for the update process to complete.
The tool will prompt 'press any keys to continue' after the firmware update is completed successfully